Special Giving Programs
Amplify the power of philanthropy by giving collaboratively.
Through our special giving programs, you can pool your donations with others who share your interests, making an even bigger impact. You also have the opportunity to engage through educational activities, volunteerism and more.
You can also strengthen nonprofits and improve lives throughout our region by supporting FFTC's other special giving programs.
With the goal of enhancing the quality of life within our communities, NGAAP is a collective giving program that promotes philanthropy among African Americans in the Charlotte region.
Established in 2008, members pledge $1 a day for three years and envision a healthy, safe and prosperous community for families to live, work and flourish. We award grants to nonprofits that address issues affecting a disproportionate number of African Americans.
Grants are awarded to organizations that serve unmet needs of the African American community. We will award grants up to $10,000 for operations and programs that support the mission of NGAAP.
Based and operating in Mecklenburg County
501(c)3 status (use of fiscal sponsors allowed)
Annual organizational budget not exceeding $500,000
50% or more of population served by identified program/organization is African American
CM3A-identified need and priority
30% or more of Board members are Black/African American (representative of County demographics at 32.2% in 2014)
Funding priority given to initiatives that respond to and promote the mission of “Social, Civic and Legal Justice” within the African American community
Build understanding and appreciation for the inequality in legal outcomes based on ethnicity and race
Cultivate opportunities to build collaboration and community
Support voter registration and engagement
Promote policies and procedures that reduce disproportionality and disparities in the justice system
Areas Typically Not Funded
Capital campaigns and endowment funds
Networking infrastructure, hardware and software for computers or other similar forms of technology
Publication of books
Projects that promote political activity or religious views
Organizations for re-granting purposes
Debt retirement/deficit funding
Activities occurring prior to grant decision
Projects typically the funding responsibility of federal, state or local government
New proposals that duplicate existing or established programs or services
Strategic planning if it is in “ordinary course of business”
The current grant cycle is now closed.
The Plus Collective – formerly known as the Charlotte Lesbian and Gay Fund – is a giving program that awards grants to nonprofits supporting the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community in the Charlotte region, as well as partners with community allies.
Whether you wish to be involved with grantmaking decisions, or simply want to support the fund with a generous donation, your gift provides funding to nonprofits that support the local LGBTQ+ community.
Learn About Grant Opportunities
The Plus Collective awards grants to Charlotte‐area organizations serving the LGBT+ community through three grant programs:
- Basic Operating Grants are intended to build capacity and strengthen the effectiveness of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations whose primary objective is to serve the Charlotte-Mecklenburg LGBTQ+ community. Eligible organizations will provide at least 75% of their services and utilize at least 75% of their budget within the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area. Grants will be awarded to support general operations of organizations that fulfill the vision of TPC: “Guided by principles. Inspired by diversity. Supported by community.”
- Programs, Projects, and Events Grants are intended to encourage LGBTQ+ and non-LGBTQ+ 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations to serve the Charlotte-Mecklenburg LGBTQ+ community either directly, or in partnership with another organization(s). The program, project, or event should exemplify the vision of TPC: "Guided by principles. Inspired by diversity. Supported by community."
- Grassroots Grants are intended to build capacity and strengthen the effectiveness of startup organizations (with or without 501(c)(3) nonprofit status) whose primary objective is to serve the Charlotte-Mecklenburg LGBTQ+ community. Allowing TPC to reach organizations with unmet needs that fall outside of current Basic Operating and Programs, Projects and Events (PPE) grant parameters, Grassroots grants will be awarded to support general operations as specified in the grant application that fulfill the vision on TPC: “Guided by principles. Inspired by diversity. Supported by community.”
Give to The Plus Collective
Make an impact in the lives of our LGBTQ+ community. You can give by check, online, through a donor advised fund or by designating The Plus Collective in a planned gift.
Sustaining Donors provide generous one-time gifts and are recognized in perpetuity on the website and printed materials for their leadership and generosity.
- Platinum Sustaining Donor: Gifts of $10,000 or more
- Gold Sustaining Donor: Gifts of $5,000 to $9,999
- Silver Sustaining Donor: Gifts of $2,500 to $4,999
Stakeholders give annually to The Plus Collective, and are eligible to participate in the grantmaking process each year they give. They are recognized for their generosity, both online and in printed materials.
- Stakeholder Plus: A gift of $1,250, where $1,000 supports annual grantmaking and $250 is applied to The Plus Collective’s endowment to support future grantmaking
- Stakeholder: A gift of $1,000 ($500 for those under 30 years old)
Donors: If you are not ready to become a stakeholder or founder, you can still make an impact with a smaller donation.
To give by check, note The Plus Collective on the memo line and mail to: Foundation For The Carolinas, 220 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28202.
The Plus Collective Board of Advisors
Lee Robertson, Chair
Louis Kemp, Vice Chair
Shelly Schoenfeld, Past Chair
Becky Hoover, Treasurer
James Neilson, Secretary
Vice President & Program Officer